Metheus III

 [Tradução na segunda metade do post]

   “You know, when I was little grandpa used to say that when I grew up I would change the world in it’s entirety, like, I would change people’s notions of right and wrong and make the world a better place, and receive a Nobel prize for that. He told me that, when I grew up I’d be a great person, and my name would be in the history books and, if he was still alive then, he would be the author of those books... that’s how proud he was of me, how much he had planned for me.
   “Grandpa would sometimes call me to his office and offer a sit, but not say anything, just look at me with tears of joy in his eyes, and he would say, ‘You remind me so much of myself, dear’, and tears would finally roll down his healthy rosy cheeks. He looked so healthy, you know? Nobody could ever imagine he would die like that...
   “and when grandma locked me in my room to swallow a pile of math books because my teacher said I was ‘too average’, grandpa snuck in late at night and went through everything with me until I was too tired to keep going and, when he thought I was asleep with my head on his lap, he whispered into my dreams, ‘You don’t need to be good at everything, dear... you’re already good enough.’
   “and I remember the Sunday déjeuner we would throw every week, and how he would just grab anyone he found on the street to eat with us, and the house was so full and there were people eating sat on every single surface of the dining rooms, and everything was so happy and fun, and we would listen to dozens of stories from the most different of strangers, and people would compliment me for my spicy sauce... I remember when grandpa put my spicy sauce in the family’s cookbook... that was one of the happiest days of my life. I felt so important. It felt like I really was everything he told me I am, he made me feel like I was the brightest child the world has ever seen, like I was destined to be a great and honorable person; he made me feel like I could be everything I ever wanted...
   “and now look at me...”
   “Jack...” He said, tapping my thigh, “I think you shouldn’t drink so much... you’re getting us all depressed, dude.” 

***

[Portuguese translation]

   “Sabe, quando eu era pequeno vovô costumava dizer que quando eu crescesse mudaria o mundo totalmente, como eu iria mudar a noção das pessoas de certo e errado e fazer do mundo um lugar melhor, e receber um prêmio Nobel por isso. Ele me disse que, quando crescesse eu seria uma grande pessoa, e meu nome estaria escrito na história e, se estivesse vivo, seria ele quem colocaria essa história nos livros... ele se orgulhava de mim desse tanto, para você ver o quanto ele tinha planejado pra mim.
   “De vez em quando vovô me chamava pro escritório dele e oferecia uma cadeira, mas não dizia nada, só ficava olhando pra mim com lágrimas de orgulho nos olhos, e então dizia, ‘Você me lembra tanto de mim mesmo, querido”, e as lágrimas finalmente rolavam por suas bochechas, rosadas e saudáveis. Ele parecia tão saudável, sabe? Ninguém poderia imaginar que ele morreria daquele jeito...
   “e quando vovó me prendeu dentro do quarto para engolir uma pilha de livros de matemática porque meu professor disse que eu estava ‘muito na média’, vovô veio na ponta dos pés tarde da noite até meu quarto, e me ajudou a passar tudo a limpo até eu estar cansado demais pra continuar e, quando achou que eu tinha caído no sono com minha cabeça em seu colo,  ele sussurrou para dentro dos meus sonhos, ‘Você não precisa ser bom em tudo, querido... você já é bom o suficiente.’
   “E eu me lembro dos almoços de domingo que a gente fazia toda semana, e como ele pegava qualquer pessoa que achasse na rua para comer com a gente, e a casa ficava tão cheia e tinha gente sentada em cada centímetro das duas salas de jantar, e tudo era tão feliz e divertido, e nós ouvíamos um monte de histórias das mais diferentes pessoas, e todo mundo elogiava meu molho picante... lembro de quando vovô colocou meu molho picante no livro de receitas da família... aquele foi um dos dias mais felizes da minha vida. Eu me senti tão importante. Pareceu que eu realmente era tudo aquilo que ele me disse que era, ele me fez sentir a mais brilhante criança que o mundo já viu, como eu estivesse destinado a ser uma grande e honorável pessoa; ele me fazia sentir como se eu pudesse ser tudo aquilo que quisesse ser...
   “e agora olha pra mim...”
   “Jack...” Ele disse, dando tapinhas na minha perna. “Acho que você não devia beber tanto... você está deixando a gente tudo triste, cara.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE LOST TAPES Vol.49: ruination in foreign terror

Just another special day

THE LOST TAPES Vol.50: nothing special