October 8, 1999

  October 8, 1999
from Elizabeth Hoffmann, to Margaret Hoffmann
16, St Jame's Square
St. Jame's, London,
England 

Dear Maggie,

   Papa has suffered a terrible accident, and is at home recovering. On the way to the club, a car hit him at high speed. He broke both legs and is unable to walk. I’m living in the family’s house to care for him along with the nurses. We’re all OK for now.

   Sorry I went so long without sending you letters, and now just show up out of nowhere with news of this nature, but I did not really have anything to say all these years. I haven't seen you in a long time, and I don't know if I know you anymore, or if you even know who I am. I imagine you have already found your Heathcliff, and learned how love cannot be as tasteful and beautiful as we thought it was, or maybe even you’ve found an end, just like Catherine. I can not even be sure if this letter will find it’s correct destination, and honestly, the idea of your demise does not surprise me. I, too, am not sure of who you are.

   That morning was scary. From the moment I lay in bed I knew something bad was about to happen. Couldn’t even sleep thinking of the possibilities, and sat by the window waiting for the Sun to arrive as the omen of bad news. Like you used to say, “you can not stop the inexorable, so the only thing left is to wait for Destiny’s next move”. And I waited, heart in hands, but waiting. What I feared most is that something would happen to me, but now I know that wasn’t the worst outcome of my premonition. When the maid came to me in tears, I already knew what had happened, but needed a moment to process everything — maybe even more than a moment, for I could not come out of my room until dusk. When I went to visit him a few days had already passed, he was at home..

   I need to be a good daughter to papa and help him with my heart and soul in this time of need but, I am so afraid. He is afraid of being forgotten, too. I feel like you and me, as his only family, should be by his side now. I miss you, Meggy, and I’m sure papa misses you too. I’m sure he’s forgiven you. We all have forgiven you. Please come back, we need you here. Doesn’t matter whatever happened in the past, your father is still your father, and I am still your sister.

With love,
Liz

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE LOST TAPES Vol.49: ruination in foreign terror

Just another special day

THE LOST TAPES Vol.50: nothing special